Monday, March 17, 2014

K is for Knowledge

We all have a certain amount of knowledge, based on our life experience, our age, the studies we have done, the books we have read, etc. And if you run a business, as we go along you gain knowledge or experience. When you start something new, it can really feel like you know nothing. You can really feel out of your depth. It's known as being green, or being a "noob" in today's terms.

But as time goes by and you stick at it, you become more seasoned in what you do. You remember what it's like being the junior in high school? Knowing nothing, and nobody. And all too soon, you are the senior, and you remember what that's like too, being the one who is expected to pass on information. In business it's the same. There are advantages to being green and to being seasoned.

I guess I would say I'm pretty seasoned, having run my business, Typewrite Transcription and Typing Services CC, since 2005. That's not to say there's nothing to be learned from newbies. The further along I go, the more I realise that I have a lot to learn from younger people (or maybe I should say "people who are less experienced in the field than I am", as I'm still only 38.)

I also think, though, that it's almost our social responsibility to share the knowledge that we pick up, particularly in industries such as the VA and transcription industries, which are still pretty small in my opinion.

This was one of the reasons I started this blog all that time ago - to share knowledge, so if you are a newbie, and even if you've been in the game for a while, I really recommend that you browse around this blog, read up what I've written in the past. Please comment and share on posts as well. I also wrote my ebook "Working From Home as a Transcriptionist in South Africa" to specifically share information with newbies. It's tough when you start out, and you feel like there aren't a lot of resources to help you. I've been told on many occasions how much my ebook helps, and it doesn't only help South Africans, it's sold well across the world.

As business owners it's also our responsibility to make sure that we keep gaining knowledge. While we are alive, we can still learn, so I don't want to hear the excuse that you are too old. You are not!

This blog forms part of the  VA Tips and Tricks Blogging Challenge. For more posts in the challenge search this blog and my Pop Speaking blog. 

1 comment:

Transcription Service said...

In these challenging times of tight budgets, compressed deadlines, exploding amounts of information, and stringent compliance regulations, managing medical transcription yourself can cost you in more ways than one.